BlogEngine recently released version 2.6 (May the 14th). My blog was running 2.5 from 27th of July 2011. So it was time to update.
There is a good upgrade guide available online which I used, but since the upgrade path might differ from user to user, I have decided to blog mine:
First of all: know your blogs storage method, mine is XML. I know because I have not configured any database in a web.config file. So here are my steps:
4. Delete everything from FTP web root, except `googleverification.html`, my nibbler html (to claim my website ownership) and robot.txt and dotnettechy.html except app_data
5. upload everything from 2.6 except app_data content
6. upload themes/jphellemons folder
7. upload widgets - buy me a beer, cumulus, syndication, tagcanvas, twitterfeed
twitterfeed missed some .cs files in app_code
8. upload pictures and custom favicon blogengine.ico, android market button,
9. upload socialbe folder
and I tested it… but it didn’t work. Seems to have lost everything, admin login didn't work. requesting password. no e-mail received.
10. downloaded logger.txt from app_data folder, spotted that SMTP does not work out of the box on this webhost. So I had to modify the web.config so that asp.net can send mails with the web.config settings. I used this blogpost as reference: http://dotnetblogengine.net/post/The-Next-Chapter-of-BlogEngineNET-Version-26.aspx And I tried to open my upgraded blog again and noticed that twitterfeed widget had some .cs classes that required a manual upload in the App_Code folder.
So now I am running version 2.6 of BlogEngine.Net
Good luck upgrading!