In my previous post I thought that I would not make the app because I did not had a nice geocoding service. I did find Azure Maps, but there is no nice C# client at that time and I did not feel like doing manual REST calls. I know I can, I just didn’t feel like making it (sorry).
So I’ve worked in the past with the Geocoding.Net Nuget packages and decided to go for the Bing version. Googles version requires an account with billing because the first 200 dollar is free. It does feel like a hurdle for me as I do not work that much with Google Services.
So I did create an Azure Function which reads the kmz and extracts it to kml and for each unknown placemark would do a geo-location and store it in a file, so that only new bears would require a call to the Geocoding service of Bing.
The app is up now in the play store. Not in Apples App store, because I did not buy a license for it.
I forgot to rename the package.
Here is a small snippet for the Geocoding:
var geocoder = new Geocoding.Microsoft.BingMapsGeocoder(“key”);
var geoCodeResponse = await geocoder.GeocodeAsync(“address here”);
var location = geoCodeResponse.First().Coordinates;
Good luck and happy bear hunting!