My blog was offline a few days ago. The IIS application pool stopped. To investigate if it had something to do with my BlogEngine installation, I wanted to install Elmah. That was an easy one. Here is how I did it in just a few steps:
- download your current BlogEngine installation from the remote webserver
- Open it with Visual Studio (open website)
- Run it with Visual Studio to make sure that there are no build errors
- Right click on the solution:
- Select manage NuGet Packages
- Search for Elmah
- Hit install
- Edit the web.config, add
<authorization> <allow roles="Administrators"/> <deny users="*"/> </authorization>Just below
<location path="elmah.axd" inheritInChildApplications="false"> <system.web>
<elmah> <security allowRemoteAccess="false"/> </elmah>
the allow remote access to true.
- Save and upload the new web.config, and upload and overwrite the files from the bin folder.
Only logged in administrators now have access to yourdomain.com/elmah.axd